Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wedding Planner Nostalgia?


One year ago at this time, wedding planning was in full swing. Flowers, dresses, centerpieces, cake, photographers, menus... it's all I talked about with anyone. It was like an inevitable topic -- not that I minded, of course. Women love talking weddings, and it was kind of fun to be the center of attention at some point throughout the day. But by the time July came around, I was ready for the planning part to be over and the big day to just be here already (sorry for sounding the Scrooge, the Grinch, the black cloud, of all brides)! But before I knew it, that "big day" was here. And then it was gone. And I was, well, relieved. Our wedding day, and the days leading up to it, were some of the best in my whole life. I would love to relive all of those over again -- but only if it meant I didn't have to do any planning over again.

But strangely, when I was wondering around the sewing section at Wal-Mart earlier this week, I stumbled upon the wedding aisle. And I suddenly got all queezily nostalgic about wedding planning. I forgot all about those annoying teeny tiny details that you forget about until it's three weeks before your wedding, 3:00 a.m. and you're trying to sleep because you have some lame grad school class at 9:00 the following morning. Instead, I missed having this huge party to plan. I missed dreaming about how cute my cupcake table would look and how yummy they would taste for all of our friends and family. I missed wondering what my bouquet would look like (beautiful, by the way). I missed dreaming about what it would be like to walk down the aisle to the Lori Line song Hymne.

And when I got home, I looked back at pictures. And I remembered all of the good memories I shared with the people I loved in the days leading up to it. The bridal shower my sister and sister-in-laws threw me and the family boccie ball tournament that followed that evening in the warm summer air. The surprise bachelorette party from my new friends in the Counseling program. Putting together centerpieces, getting manicures, eating lunch at Bennigan's with my mom, sister, grandma, aunt and cousins. Playing night games after our rehearsal dinner.

And that day. And everyone gathered together to celebrate one thing -- us. I think that was one of the most incredible parts. All of those people -- traveling from near and far, even if it wasn't the most convenient thing in the world for them to do. The presence of those people, to me, was enough of a gift in itself. As if marrying my best friend wasn't enough, being surrounded by all of the best family and friends we could have ever asked for. I don't think I stopped smiling all day.

Sometimes I'm disappointed that I don't remember more details about the day. It went so fast. But I guess that's all it really was -- a day. A day that produced something that will last forever: a marriage.

I'm a big sap-bucket lately, sorry. I've been overly emotional [i.e., crying my eyes out at a recent Grey's Anatomy episode -- but it was the train wreck episode where those two people had a pole through their stomachs, so I did have reason to break down over it] lately. Now, for both your viewing pleasure and for letting me flash back to those days [almost six months ago now]... some of my favorites...


No comments:

Post a Comment