Thursday, April 24, 2014

Forty Eight Weeks!



Weight: I'm guessing between 17 and 18 pounds.


Sleep: Sleep is pretty good. Waking up once a night lately due to an icky, croupy cough.

Medical Issues: Feeling good, aside from that croupy-sounding cough!

Clothes: Lizzie still fits nicely into her three to six month clothes, but I got bored with the same outfits all the time I felt like I'd mixed and matched and mixed again all of her things, and I just couldn't take it anymore! So instead of buying more three to six month stuff,  I opted to start testing the waters with some of her 6 to 12 month stuff. Though they are a little bit, they fit well enough :) So she gets to wear all kinds of fun new stuff. Some of it is still too big to wear, but that's okay. Just more things to look forward to putting her in :)
For jammies, we're still sporting our three to six month sizes.
Socialite!: Lizzie got an extra day with Mommy last week on Good Friday since there was no school :) We spent a lot of time with Lizzie's cousins and with other family over the Easter weekend. Lizzie loves "big kids". She waves her arms and pumps her legs whenever they come around, and she's always wanting to be where the action is :) And they are so sweet to her, sharing toys and wanting to help me take care of her. She's a lucky girl! 


Diet: Lizzie seems to be turning into her mommy in a few food ways: first, she love love loves fruit! Second, she seems to have developed a distaste for sauces on her pasta. At one time, girlfriend would inhale pasta with red sauce and meat -- now, however, it's a different story. We can hardly get her to put it in her mouth, and once it does, it usually ends up coming out. However, she will eat some of it if it comes from one of our plates. So I'm trying a new strategy where I put her food on my plate and then give it to her. It seems to work 85% of the time :)

I've avoided peas for quite some time because they're small and can be messy, due to the fact that they roll everywhere if dropped on the floor. That hiatus is definitely done: earlier in the week, I made her enough peas for supper and for her lunch for daycare the next day. She grabbed the peas by the handful and dumped them into her mouth… loved them! She could pick them up one by one, but it seems she figured out that that was just too slow of a delivery :) Anyway, not only did she eat her peas for that night's supper, but she also ate all of her peas for her lunch the next day! They were like candy to her. It was awesome!


Baby Gear Love: Still loving books. She also loves her new flashcards that she got in her Easter basket. They are pretty awesome, and I'm not just saying that from a teacher standpoint :) They're touch and feel, which is perfect for her right now. She loves to look at them... and chew on them, too.

She also loves little "animals" that she can hold in her hand. At home, you'll find her consistently with two of the following (one in each hand) -- a little "baby" rubber duck, a little stuffed octopus or a little stuffed giraffe. She needs them -- all. The. Time!

We're also loving this Melissa and Doug Chunky Jungle Puzzle that we got in our Easter basket from Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Wayne. Lizzie takes the animals off, bangs them together, and (I swear this happens) roars when we look at the lion. It is hilarious and so darn cute. We weren't sure if we were hearing her correctly the first few times (skeptics), but she does it consistently, so it must be what she's doing! I always "raaar" when I point to the lion, so it does make sense.


Crying: Lizzie is such a happy babe. She only cries when she's hungry or tired.
Mommy News: First and foremost, I want to say that I was truly touched by the kind words and support I received after last week's sad news. Thank you to all who offered encouragement, and those who didn't, but to anyone who thought of and prayed for us. 

That being said, life ticks on. It's been a struggle, still. And I don't think it ever really stops being one. I still had days when I would cry from mourning the loss of the baby we lost before Lizzie was born. So I know that the pain never really goes away -- but that's okay, I suppose. Like I said last time -- it hurts because it mattered. Although those two babies won't be with us here on Earth, they are still our sons, daughters, brothers, sisters. We are still a family of five -- just not to the naked eye.

Over the weekend, though, I got in some really good days that were very "healing" for me (cheesy!). We got to spend time outside in the sunshine, got to laugh, got to spend lots of solid, good, uninterrupted time with Lizzie -- and I needed that. On Saturday afternoon, we spent a lot of time pushing Lizzie in a swing for the first time. She loved it, and my heart needed it. I went to bed that night feeling more whole than I have since we learned we were losing our baby. I am so thankful for my sweet girl that I can't even fathom it.

As much as I hate to say it, each day does get easier. The pain lessens a little more, I look forward to the future and what might come next, and I remind myself to stay in the present and enjoy Lizzie just as she is, just her, for now -- because this time with just one baby, just my one miracle baby, won't last forever. We will have more kids... and this precious time with just her will just be a memory.

Milestones: As mentioned previously, Lizzie is saying "raaar" -- is that a first word? I don't think so -- more of a first sound that has some meaning I think :)

Most exciting of all: Lizzie is now crawling on her hands and knees! No more army crawls for this girl! Well, maybe she hasn't given up the army crawling completely, but it's certainly lessened :)

Girlfriend's first Easter over the weekend as well... can't believe she's almost one year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment